That Damned Shortcut: Part 1

Author: bondgal_rulz / Labels: , ,

It started as a usual day for the five of them, and like always, none of them wanted to attend the class. Amit was feeling giddy at the thought of attending the HR class; Ira nauseous, while two more, Siddharth and Parul were having sympathy symptoms of a similar type. Only the last one was somewhat keen to attend it. “My attendance, and the fact that the assignment is to be submitted… none of you care about that I guess!” said Minisha to the group.

“Well, isn’t that a bit obvious that we honestly don’t care?” quipped Ira.

“Now that almost all of us have agreed on the fact that the classes are a waste of time, and we shouldn’t attend them,” said Amit, and three pairs of eyes, and one pair of glasses glared at Minisha, daring her to contradict. “It’s time to decide where to go,” continued Amit.

“We can decide that on the way. Right now, let’s just get in the car, out on the road, and burn some rubber!” screamed Ira; living up to the reputation of her usual overexcited self. The catcalls and in-group jeers led them to the parking lot, and they clambered into the car as fast as they could. Travelling at speeds to rival a rally sedan, the dilapidated tiny Alto sped along the highway, and all too soon they reached one of the many malls dotted around the NCR. Amit looked over at the stereotypical structure of the shopper’s haven, looked in the rear view mirror, and said “Ladies, no shopping please!”

Hooting with laughter, they entered the mall and headed straight for the food court. After placing the order for her favourite Paneer Pizza, Minisha made a beeline for the nearest accessories shop. “Hey! Wait Up. I wanna check out some tattoos that I can get done,” Siddharth exclaimed and followed her. The two of them got lost in the crowds, while the others placed their orders. Eating through the feast in front of them, they almost forgot the college, their studies, even the two friends who weren’t present at that time.

“You ate the Pizza too?” asked a shocked Minisha when she returned, while her poor unfed tummy growled in protest, and the others rolled around laughing.

“Don’t worry, we’ll get you a compensatory pizza,” said Parul. “Ice-cream, anyone?”

“Choco Chip for me,” said Ira

“Weren’t you on a diet?” asked Amit without looking at her, and promptly got a smack on his head for his quick wit.

Four ice creams and one pizza box accompanied them, as the incredible trip continued. The near perfect weather outside, topped up with a gentle breeze and a light drizzle jogged all brains to a common idea – long drive to India Gate. About one third down the way though, the five fickle minds changed track – one by one.

“Don’t you think India Gate’s a bit too far?” asked Parul in a small voice.

“Yeah, even I think so. I have to be back home a little early myself,” voiced Ira. “Plus, we keep going there almost every other week.”

“I’m tired!” yawned Siddharth.

“Are we going home already?” asked a bewildered Amit.

“Hmm, I guess. Anyway, what are you complaining about? You’ll still get your long drive. You have to drop off all of us remember, Mr. Driver?” teased Parul

“It’s getting dark already. I know a short cut from here to Ashram. We’ll reach in no time,” claimed Amit confidently.

At the next red light, just to be sure, Siddharth asked the person sitting in the car next to theirs if the road indeed led to Ashram. The man, probably in his late twenties, nodded his head in answer.

“See, I told you,” said Amit, and sped down the road.

“Always better to be sure, my man,” said Siddharth, while the small car bumped and jumped along what was clearly a Kuccha Road

“Guys, are you sure we’re going the right way?” asked Minisha, her eyes wide with a glimpse of terror reflected in them.

“Aah, you worry too much,” said Siddharth, turning and smiling at her.

At that precise moment, the car hit a small ditch that caused a round of small shrieks from the girls. Ira, who wasn’t really paying attention, was the most surprised to find themselves in the middle of a long dusty road that stretched forever ahead, and dark, looming banana trees, swaying eerily in the chilly, dark wind. Not a soul to be seen on either side, not a sound to be heard, except the soft whoosh of the wind blowing. The headlights flickered and died with a tiny ping, and a small “Oh Shit!” issued from Ira’s mouth.

The only light there now, was emanating from the five swanky cellphones.

“I think we should get down and look for someone, who can guide us out of this place,” Siddharth said, while proceeding to open the door.

“Are you crazy? You’ll get down here? God knows who or what might be out here!” Minisha said, holding his arm with all her strength. Everyone reflected on this for a few seconds, and it was only then that she realized she was still clutching his arm. Embarassed, she let go of it and settled back.

“But we can’t stay here forever guys!” said a visibily irritated Ira.

Once again, a round of silence followed. By now everyone’s cell phone lights had gone off, and none of them bothered to switch them on again.

In the pitch black silence, they heard another shriek and a thud.

Minisha had fainted.

~~~~~

You think that’s the end? Well, it’s not! Click here to read on about what happened, all thanks to That Damned Shortcut.

44 comments :

Kartz said...

Woopsie... ;) Went to Arnab's space first. Thanks to my dashboard...

Intriguing first part. Was searching for it in his Archives, till I noticed the forenote therein.

Good job, you two! Keep writing; spread the voice.

Peace.

Anwesa said...

i can see fun giving way 2 suspense..gonna read d next part.

Mahesh Sindbandge said...

Hi Isha,

What are You guys doing?? both of you posted two posts eacha nd both realted to each otehr...

Good to see bloggers being friends... u and arnab must be friends... is it so?

I loved the portay of character, though it was not in vast manner..
Well as for this toy is concerned...



Story was good...Not new but portrayed very well..infact the ending was surprise to me..

I am still waiting for you to leave your foot prints in my space :P as u said earlier before exams of yours..:)

Likhte raho..:)

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Kartz - Uh oh! I was afraid that something like this may happen.

Glad you liked it. :)

Cheers

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Anwesa - Do that and lemme know how you found it. :)

Cheers

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Mahesh - We have co-authored the story and have put it up on our blogs half-half karke. :)

Glad that you liked the story.

I did visit your space and commented!

Will do so again after my exams get over, which I don't know will be when . :(

Cheers

Tushar Mangl said...

Great piece of work. Loved it

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Tushar - Thank you so much. :)

Cheers

Arnab Majumdar said...

Well well, looks like our efforts have become quite famous around here already... Nice!!

:D

Anil Sawan said...

isha, that was some kind of a beautiful read :) i never knew u cud write so intriguing stories :) way to go dear.. and the ending, did arnab write it?, it was totally unexpected.. cheers to both of ya :)

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Arnab - *Smiles broadly* :)

I know!! Cheers to team-work. :D

Though I feel like adding the followign lines at the end : "This story is based on a true incident. The names of the charcaters have been changed in order to protect their identity." :D

Cheers

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Sawan - Thank you so much. Well the story is somewhat based on a true incident so...I think it's just that we have interesting lives. ;)

I won't tell you who wrote the ending, but yes, the idea of that end was Arnab's. It is his signature style. :)

Glad that you had a good time reading it. :)

Cheers

Anil Sawan said...

interesting life indeed!! now that u said it, looking back at the story, u make me jealous for having such an eventful life :D

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Sawan - You've no idea. There was so much more that happened, that we wanted to incorporate but then both of us were unanimous on the fact that the story was becoming way too long.

And as for you getting jealous, YAY!! Ulterior motive accomplished. He he..

Anil Sawan said...

sadist u r!! :P

i seriously wudnt have mind reading
"That Damned Shortcut: Part 3/4/5" u cud still think of writing it :)

Arnab Majumdar said...

That'd be honest too, so you could actually consider putting it on :D Hehehehe...

Even now, my personal best bit is... "Minisha fainted."

:P

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Sawan - That was subtle. :P

Aww..that's so sweete...but well, if not That Damned Shortcut- Part3/4/5, perhaps somethign else!

And for that you'll have to wish that we keep on leading an interesting life. :P

Anil Sawan said...

really?? so i, who is already jealous of you for leading such a life, should pray for ya to have more eventful life!!! interesting :D

okies.. only for the sake of a good read that it might gift, i shall pray :)

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Arnab - Hmmm, I think I will. :P

He he....mine too. I love the effect it has. On me at least. ;)

But you know what? even though the entire experience was a bit scary, I wouldn't mind something like this to happen in the future. ;)

And also I really do want to explore that banana plantation. During the day of course! :)

Arnab Majumdar said...

Ulterior Motives here too?? :P

And yes, even I wanna explore the Banana Plantation during the day sometime... would be fun, especially with all the, *ahem*, memories....

:D

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Sawan - :)

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Arnab - Whatever. *Shrugs*

Chalo exams ke last day ki outing decided hai then. :)

Arnab Majumdar said...

Definitely! And, we'll drag all the "characters" this time as well, so that they get a real feel of the setting as well... watse?

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Arnab - I'm ALL for it. :)

Onward said...

booooooo....suspence pe chod diya!!..obv there is another link but still..hehe...so u wrote the scripts for "AAHAT"...?? lagta toh hai...and u know that amit character seems mighty fine..hehe...;-)

btw i m assuming u r going to publish part 2 else i m gonna read from that link!!...
wat say?

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Dream'R - Arre baba, the story is a joint effort, that's the reason it has been put up on Arnab's (the co-author) blog. You'll have to read it there only. :P

Hmmm, well the character is inspired from real life, so I'll pass it on as a compliment to the person concerned. :P

And na, the AAHAT guys approached me but I didn't accept the offer. :P

And read the remainin gpart on teh other link but don't forget to comment here too. :)

Cheers

Pallav said...

hello... this is a fiction???

i dont bthink so
Isha... this is not done... u always does... creat lot of curiosity...
i think i hv to learn from u....hmmmmmm

so its team work...
Isha ...beautifullyyy narrated... with mindblowing words.....

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Pallav - Fiction; inspired from a true incident, is how I'll put it. :P

He he...glad it had that effect on you. :)

Yes it is sheer team work and that's what has probablt made it beautiful and mindblowing.

Thanks for all the nice comments.

Cheers

Rahul Viswanath said...

Gripping ..... Cant wait to get to read the second one .... Nice piece

Onward said...

i thought it d be some joker too!! boo to u..!! i was hoping for ghosts!! kyaa yaar!! spoil sport!!...anyways..i like most of ur stories..u do write em well...:-)....

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Rahul - Thanks. It was a joint effort. :)

Click on the link at the end of the post for the second part.

Cheers

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Dream'R - He he. :P Well, surprise surprise. :P

A little more interaction with you and I should be inspired to write a 'bhootiya' story.

It was a joint effort so I deserve only half of teh credit. Glad that you liked it. :)

Cheers

P.S. How goes gymming ?? :P

G said...

[b]nice :)
you write really well!

cheers :)

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Gargi - Thank you so much.

It was a combined effort, so I guess that's the reason. :)

Cheers

Shruti said...

Came here from Arnab's space.. good first part.. I remember Arnab writing in his post '100 things about me' that he once got lost at India Gate.. hehe.. some true story here? :->
Am off to Arnab's soace for the second part now! :)

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Shruti - Thank you so much from both of us. :)

Oh yeah! That was some day...three more rounds around India Gate and we'd have been married to it. :P

Do read it and give your feedback. :)

And now that you've landed here courtesy Arnab's blog, it'll sure be nice to see you here more often. ;)

Cheers

Dr. Acula said...

Ooooh..reading the next part..cool idea..you too doing it in parts! *thumbs up*

:D

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Siya - read and give the feedback. :)

Waiting...

Dr. Acula said...

Oye!! AWESOME at its best! Haha..really really cool ending! I kinda dont like ghost stories usually..this one sure kept me hooked to the end though! Totally an exception!!

I love the uncle..with "two circles that were his eyes"!

Rockin' baby!

:D

Dr. Acula said...

Real incident, huh??

Interesting! Hehe..

Which one are you? Ira..I'm guessing!
Really really curious to know!
:D

P.S.: I'm SO not believing this to be true! ;-)

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Siya - Yay!! *Does a jig*

OMG! You don't like ghost stories??!! I'm a total sucker for them. :D

You know what something tells me, I'll end up doing things like that oldie when I'm one too. ;)

Cheers

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Siya - And why's that ? You not believing it to be a true incident that is.

So just cos you asked, yes this indeed is a true story. Though the end of course is a fragment of the authors' imagination. :D

And how'd you know that??? *surprised* Rightly guessed. :)

Dr. Acula said...

OH YAY!! I knew!! I knows everythings babys! I the rocks! Hehe..I'm just SO good at reading people..just that! I love me!! ;D ;D

(The secret: You just sound SO much like me..it was obvious! LOL)

Cheerio! :DD

bondgal_rulz said...

@ Siya - I know!! That is why I was a bit surprised when you said you don't like ghost stories. I was almost certain that you do. :)

You sure do the rocks girl! (Oops! That sounds a bit weird ;)) Lol

Cheers :)

Post a Comment

Bolo bolo....jee khol ke bolo :D

COGNOSCENTI