As you all (meaning those masochists who read my blog to get tortured no end) already know that I have taken my first step in the big bad corporate world (I just love making everything sound so melodramatic!) as an intern at a financial consultancy, so I thought it was time to report what I have been up to and how the company is still managing to stand, what with me in its premises! ;)
Well, those who are familiar with either me or this blog, know the kind of experiences I have had with the corporate world and for those who are not, chinta not!! Here’s all you need to know. :) "The Third Degree"
So, let’s start at the beginning. The first day. I arrive on time. (!) The waiting room soon swells up with loads of people, most of who seem to be interns too. But for the number of people in that room, there was very and I mean very little conversation. How was I to stand it!!?? Meri presence mein itna sannata!!??
So I took it upon my naazuk shoulders to bring some life into that dead room. And then began a round of introductions, some small talk and pleasant chit chat. In the course of this bonhomie, I decided to entertain all present with the anecdote of my interview at that particular company. I told them how surprised I was that I was actually selected for the training, as my interview had been anything but good. I barely knew any answers in the technical round - the most important of them all! And I described to them in detail how two people had taken my interview, one – a somewhat older, strict-looking guy and the other – a young and seemingly friendly kinda guy and how I answered all the questions I knew the answers to while looking at the older one and how I just flashed a dazzling smile at the younger one, each time I didn’t know an answer. ;) And I also told them how confidently I had given them a wrong answer. And how when they cross questioned me on it, I gave the same answer with the same confidence!
Na na, the story ain't over yet. Apparently there among the sea of interns, were also two three Assistant Managers, one of who was sitting right next to me and turned out to be in the same team as me!!
The moment I saw her being introduced in the office as the new AM of my department, all I could think was “There goes my PPO!” :( :(
And to think that that would be the end of me and her, was foolish of me. It turned out that her temporary seat was the one – yeah, you are on the right track- right next to me. :( :( :(
Now she had gone and collected all the stationery from the administration and kept it in her drawer. Now anyone who has been in an office knows the maara-maari there is for such petty things there. I being the blissfully ignorant new intern, think that all that stationery belonged to the person who had resigned and whose seat now lies vacant. So, what do I do? Rather than waiting to be issued an ID, access card, employee number, e-mail id and n number of other things before I get the allotted stationery, I pick the easier route. The route of course went through that particular drawer. And what happens next is very predictable; she asks me if I know where all the stationery went and I make the most innocent possible face ever (trust me, never have I been more grateful to the hours of practice put in those theatre classes) and say “No clue!” with a nonchalant shrug. And add “I took this one pencil though!” with a slightly flushed look on my face (Damn! I’m good!) :D
And the moment she moved from her seat, I promptly put all of it back and some extra stuff too, just in case! Later when she opened her drawer and realsied that it had all come back, she said “Look Isha, the stationery has come back on its own!”
And God bless the other intern for showing up at that precise moment and asking me to solve a problem he was having, for it helped me to completely ignore the AM’s comment. :D
The next day, she had been assigned a seat far away from me, thankfully!
And of course, how can I forget the introduction round? The moment my introduction began, there were sounds of crockery breaking in the cafeteria! : And it rained and hailed on my first day there. And I missed my cab and had to take a private cab back home.
All in all an eventful first day. :D
But if only the goof-ups ended there. :(
I ended up bad mouthing a very eminent college of the city, saying that only those who can cram facts and figures and are nothing more than mugging parrots end up in that college, to a team member, who it turned out was a pass-out of that college! I love you God, and I’m sure you love me too. It just shows You know. :P
Another one took place just two days back. A guy, somewhere in his late twenties, started talking to me out of the blue, while I was trying to figure out where to find my cab. This guy, at an earlier occasion too had tried to make conversation with me at the printer. For the uninitiated, the printer is akin to what the water cooler used to be in school. The place where people catch up with each other. So anyway, I listened to him, ohho, alright!, pretended to listen to him for some 2-3 minutes before getting irritated and saying “Listen ya, I really need to find my cab or else I’ll miss it” in a well, let’s just say, not-a-very-friendly tone!
On another occasion, while in the cab, one of my team members tells me about the other AM of our department and I’m totally clueless as to who she is talking about. The next day I look where she told me he sits, and lo and behold! The irritating chape guy was sitting on that chair!! Booo hoooo…..I wanted to cry!!
Why me??? WHY???
What now? Isn’t all this enough?? The post ends here. :P Gosh! What do you think of me haan??
P.S. Would love to know if any of you have had similar devastating experiences!
Well I’m sure this post gave you some re-assurance, time to return the favour now!! :P
P.P.S. As you might have noticed, it’s not so easy to master goof-ups such these, and hence I won’t be able to blog all that much. But dare any of you forget me or my blog!
P.P.P.S. Enjoy the lighter side of “C’est La Vie” while it lasts. Will be back to the grim posts soon. :D (Main grim bhi itni happily hoti hoon…he he…hmmm…I AM weird!! *shudders*)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments
(
Atom
)
40 comments :
Well i am first to witness your dhum-0dhadam experience....
Yaar i dint feel it as some never-before experience...
In fact jab main company join kiya tha to mujhe bhi aise experiences hue the and then i concluded to myself ki corporate life aise hi hoti hai...
U r a girl so, a little more weird experience u gals would face...
I dint knew that u r a talkative girl like GEET in JWM...:P
Which company BTW...?? and how are u feelign about it..?
Chilll kuch dino mein sab common lagega..
Keep writing
cheers
One more thing isha...
This template is too heavy i guess..
I mean it takes lot of time to load..just check once...:)
haila!!!!
u seem to b chatter box :P.......
well i njoyed ur experience in workplace :D
btw kahan intern le rahe ho??
:) as a girl yes you would face the same experiences differently.
i do too!
but i enjoy the attention!
it is God's gift!
Awesome Awesome Awesome...
Loved it....:)
Wow... very, very interesting first few days you've had! How's it going now by the way? :P Have fun, and keep posting about the experiences there... I'm pretty sure it's gonna be worth reading about :D
Cheers...
oh beta... then u r on same ship.. infact we both r sailing in same boat..
wud u mind if i will ask abt company...
one request ur this template is very nice but everytime my LT gets hangs... i suppose its too heavy....
if u cud do smthng for ths..
ciya...
Pallav
Buhahahahaha ( Patended laugh)....
You are definitely one of a kind...no words...how many people would be smiling after all of this..you forgot to add of how you just left in the middle of work to watch the match and your TL called up to ask where u were ;-)
But when it comes to you all of this is totally expected...aree yaaar now try to make this a weekly update na...your weekly blunders..i mean happenings at work...;-)..
No staying away from the blog ok..thats so not fair!!...bday boy ka present..okies?
hahaha....... lol
pretty interesting first few days you have had at your work.
and no it s pretty hard to forget such a series of incidents
& if it s any consolation..
try this one of my own goof ups though in an entirely different context.
http://average-everyday.blogspot.com/2009/05/me-myself-and-horror-movies-deadly.html
cheers to all the goof ups that we are..... :)
muthu
www.average-everyday.blogspot.com
Haha! Sounds like a great way to start work! You are like me! Have to do some crazy thing and almost get in trouble :) Keep it up ;)
@ Mahesh - Yes you are!! Go and treat yourself with a five star from my side. :P
Sachii ??? Thank God!! I'm not alone then!! he he
And what do you mean that I'm a girl so I'd experience more weird experiences? Are you trying to sya that girls are dim-wits or something? :O *glares and has fists in air*
Arre Geet, Basanti and Kajol's character from K3G, I'm a heady combination of all of them!! he he
I think it'll be against company protocol to mention the name here!
And ice way to say ki main sudhar nahi sakti, so get used to all this. Lol. :P
Really?? Ohho...abhi tto change kari hai. :(
I'll see what can be done though. Thanks for letting me know.
Cheers
@ The Geekie - You have NO idea man!!
I'm sure you did. I wish that I did too. He he. ;)
Ummm, not sure if I should disclose it here...
Thanks for dropping by.
Cheers
@ AD - You mean this does not stop even if we reach a supposedly mature age!!?? *Sigh*
He he...I think I can do without attention. Atleast of the embarrassing kind. ;)
Cheers
@ Rushabhh - Meko doubt ho raha hai ki whether you have read the post or not. :P he he, just kidding. ;)
Well, thank you, thank you, thank you. :)
I love the fact that you loved it. :)
Welcome to the blog. Hoping to see you around. :)
Cheers
Oye Bondgal...
Awesome was for me..that i read such a long post..
But honestly...it was a good read...
Mazza aati hai kissi ke pange padhne mein..:P :P
jab tak woh khud k saath naa ho..:P
@ Arnab - Tell me bout it!! he he
Umm, relatively free hai abhi, as in, reaching home on time for the last two days. :) And abhi bhi replying to comments from office only. :D
Hmmm, will try. And as it is teko tto first hand account sunne ko mil hi jayega. :P
Cheers
P.S. Will call you pakka aaj. Sorry for not being in touch!
Hmm, I was wondering where you've gotten lost... waise nice to know that you've been reaching home on time for the last few days. Mera bhi abhi relatively low workload chal rha hai. But then again, that can change at just about any moment... hehe.
Cheers, and cya sometime...
@ Pallav - Hi 5!! he he..
Arre boat ya ship ?? Decide kar lo pehle. :P
And nahi ya I don't mind it in the least. But I think the company would! ("
Kya re...abhi tto main bore bhi hona start nahi hui si template se. :(
I'll see what I can do.
Cheers
@ Amith - Ufff....at least get the spelling of patented right!! :P
Yes that tto I am. He he. I don't know how many will be smiling but I do know that one particular homo sapien ain't smiling and that's me!! he he
Ohhhh haaan!!! Vo tto I forgot completely! Lol. That was super sad ya. Imagine being on your way back home thinking that finally you'll get to see Delhi Daredevils in action and in the middle of that day dreaming, your team manager calls you and chides you for leaving without informing. :(
Will try, will try. :)
Cheers
@ Muthu - He he.
"Interesting", being used in a very different connotation here. :P
I knowwww!!! I'll "treasure" them for life for sure. :D
Will most definitely do, once I'm back home and don't have to constantly look over my shoulder to make sure no one's seeing what I'm doing. :P
And welcome to C'est La Vie. Keep visiting. :)
Cheers
@ Devilish Angel - Great it was. You bet! :P he he
Ohhh!! I knew you'd belong to the same category. :P Lol
High five!!!
Cheers
hmm.. here is something that will definitely make you feel much better!
http://everydayisalittlelife.blogspot.com/2009/05/10-dumb-moments-from-my-life.html
My list is never ending too! :d
hehehe!!
lucky u to have a job till yet :D fingers crossed though!! :P
hehe, i really thank people tht call me introvert and and listener, less do they know i have adapted to be it to save myself from such falls after some experiences :D
i have literally fucked up (not literally though :D) in the interviews :D
I have talked bad about ppl right in their faces :D
and ended up in such situations too!! :D
Ha.ha.
I should have expected this. Especially after the Third Degree post ;) though, I realize that knowing that people expect you to behave like this can get a little disturbing ;)
Anyway, lovely post. Like always :)
I remember, in one of my interviews which was going fine till the time we were chatting, only to turn into a nighmare when they got into technical questions(you know how it is na.. Chatting kara lo but don't get into what I read in graduation or high school).
Anyway, to come to the point, I was clearly not very happy with the way things were going. So, when at the end of the interview when the interviewer said, "Nice meeting you", all I said was, "hmm..good". I don't think he heard it, but I can't be too sure you know.
But it's ok with me, I was clearly not feeling "nice" on meeting him. So, I didn't lie atleast.Though , my honesty didn't help me get through. Not that I wanted to anyway.
@ Arnab - Lag gayi mujhe teri nazar. Hmmppphhhh !! Got back at 8:20 aaj. :( :(
@ Sameera - Will be checking it out real soon. :)
Ah! Misery loves company. :D
Thanks for dropping by. See ya around. :)
Cheers
@ Rushabhh - Achaa ?? Hmmpphhhh. Well than I take my thank you(s) back, back and back. :|
Awww...thank you. :)
I wish ki ek din I use this very dialogue with YOU. :P he he
Cheers
@ Richa - He he...I know re, it's a wonder innit? But do keep your finfers crossed for me, you never know. ;)
Really? Lucky you ya, So YOU are one of those kind of people who my friends keep trying to tell me to become like! Learning from experience et al. :)
Yay!! You too!! Hee hee....sorry, but I really am very glad that there are people like me out here too!! :D
The link given in the post is the story of my first interview. Lol
But seriously re, I wish I could learn too, just like you have.
Cheers
Hahahahahaha!!! :D :D You're like the queen of goof-ups!!! ROFL :D
Lol..okay..now I can safely say again..you ARE one of my kind. LOL. You seriously have no idea how relieved I am to know that I ain't the only one to overdo everything and get myself embarrassed in interviews and on first days!! hehe..Now every time I mess up, all I'm gonna do is think about you to console myself!!
And seriously..talking too much is like baaaaad....I always end up saying something not meant to be said!! And yet, once I'm off..I just can't seem to stop going..I know I'm going to blurt out something really stupid..but I just cannot stop!! Shittt...what do I do with myself..and you?? lol. :P
Haha talk about everything all happening on the same day! If that's just day one, goooood luck with the rest of your internship. :P
As far as I can tell you, based on my experiences it's better to not lay all your cards out on Day 1. Best to suss out the work place, size up your co-workers...and then once you can kinda figure out who is who, take it from there. ;) Because people are always quick to pass judgments, especially on women at the workplace.
Oh and along the lines of your funny story with the printer guy, there's always one, two or three of those in every office! Haha, I've had to deal with one too many of them...it's easy just to shrug them off nicely, because before you know it, they end up being on your team, and if you had previously rubbed them the wrong way...it's just not that pleasant, lol.
aaaaahhahahaha first of all i am guessing the dazzling smile (at the younger guy) when you didn't know an answer must have been priceless!
And the final goof up... haha.. some of us just ARE so lucky!
@ Netika - A€nd I thought I couldn't get more disturbed!!! (Literally, not mentally :P
Awww, thank you so much. :)
I SOO know what you're talkin about!!
And wait a minute - "Hmm..Good" ?? ROFL.
Oh my God!! I'm honestly sooooo happy that I know all you guys. You make me feel so much more normal. :)
Ah!! Well, all's well that ends well, nahi?
Cheers
@ Dr. Acula - Thank You. NOT HELPING, btw. :P
Ab confirm ho gaya?? he he
Glad to be at your service. :P
I knoww!!!
But hey if and when you do figure out, you are letting me know too k!!?? :D
Cheers
@ Archana - I need all the luck in the world!! :D So thank you so much. :)
Tell me bout it!! Which is just so unfair!! Hmmpphhhhhhh !!
Shrug them off nicely ?? I suck at doing that. :( Trying though!!!
Actually, I've kinda managed to do some damage repair. Dazzling smile at work again, every time I pass him. ;)
Thanks for dropping by and commenting. :)
Cheers
@ Chinmayee - Awwww....you're such a sweetheart. :)
Oye!! Priceless ka matlab phokat ki tto nahi?? ;) :P he he
Lol. Yes, totally. :D
Cheers
hahahh....it was so funny...hv fun at work place :)
@ Amit - Sadly yes. ;)
Hoping to do that! :)
Cheers
I'm alive! I'm alive! I read the entire post and I'm alive!
:D
Drama queen...they name is Bondgal!!!
@ DPhatsez - You're??!! What a pity. :P ;)
He he...sure it is!!
Thanks for dropping by. :)
Cheers
P.S. What does ur display name mean? :O
lol, I suffer from the chronic foot in mouth syndrome as well,
Also, am incapable of makin the 'innocent face', actually am gifted with a face of culprit, so m always the villain no matter what!.. :) so so so I have worked on some thing called a 'tense & confused face' strategy, it helps irrespective of the situation! :D, try it some time ;)
loved the post & your humour,u got a new fan :)
Post a Comment
Bolo bolo....jee khol ke bolo :D